Panisse of Marseille (Chickpea Pancake or Fritters)
Discover the Panisse of Marseille recipe is a savory chickpea pancake from Marseille. Usually served in round disk form but you can really cut them anyway you like. It's best served as an aperitif.
- ½ Liters(2 1/8 cups) Water
- to the taste Salt and Pepper
- 125 Grams(4 OZ) Chickpea Flour
- 30 Grams(1 oz) Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Oil for frying
- Whisk half of your cold water with the chickpea flour, strain in a large bowl
- Bring the other half of the water to a boil with salt and water, then, not on the stove, add the chickpea flour mix and whisk energetically.
- Put it back on the stove on low heat and cook the Panisse for 5 minutes, whisk very often.
- Optional: If you wish to add ingredients such as olives, chorizo, or cooked diced vegetables, you can do so at this point – about 3 tbs should be enough.
- Pour this batter on a baking dish with a spoon of olive oil in the bottom, you should have a thick 1 cm (half an inch) tall dough, cover with plastic film and let cool down in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Un-mold on a cutting board and remove the plastic. Cut the way you like, big fries, or small round shapes… Fry them in a frying pan with olive oil (or in a fryer)at 170ºC (325ºF) for 3 to 5 minutes, remove on a paper towel and salt and a lot of freshly grounded black pepper, serve hot for Aperitif or as a snack…